Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's been a long time and I won't go on about that.... except to say that I have been working really hard for the past two years for a non-profit in all of my spare time, plus another job. I've been too busy to really blog about all of the work that I've done on my crafting. As well as getting married to my partner of 11 years (this year in August) last year. But now I'm feeling some real space to record and talk about the work that I'm doing of late.

I'm a typical Gemini in that I get bored pretty quickly with just one style of crafting, so I'm usually into multiple projects at one time, including aromatherapy and embroidery, or embroidery and knitting, or embroidery and cooking(!), embroidery and stitching, etc. And as I play with each form of creative expression, I continually seek to change it up, to keep it interesting. So, I'm back in the game and I'm going to be updating the blog more to share my passion as expressed through crafts.

So to start us off... here's some mixed media projects I've completed recently. In particular, I was fascinated with the idea of embroidering on canvas, but realized the potential problems with that process, so I came up with an idea of embroidering on fabric, glue it to canvas and then disguising it somehow. The results....




This was a gift for friends for their wedding. It is a hand-drawn pattern embroidered on fabric, stretched canvas, oil paint, dried flowers and a deconstructed-wicker wreath.







This is my gift to my amazing mother. Again, a hand-drawn pattern embroidered on fabric, stretched canvas, acrylic paint, dried lavender and violets. I love my mom!

No comments: